1. Hold the yarn and the needle with the stitches in your left hand. The empty needle is in your right hand. Point the needles toward each other to form an X..
2. Insert point of right needle in first stitch, from front to back, just as in casting on.
3. Keep the needles crossed by holding both needles with the thumb, index and middle fingers of your left hand. Do this by holding the right needle with the thumb nail on top facing you, and the nails of the index and middle fingers underneath that right needle and facing away from you. With your right hand, pick up yarn and wrap the yarn counterclockwise under and around the bottom needle. Do not wrap it around the left needle.
4. Hold the yarn in place around the right needle in between your right thumb and index finger and guide the right needle towards you through the center of the stitch on the left needle. The right needle should now be on top of the left needle.
5. Pull remaining yarn off the left needle by pulling the right needle up and to the right and pull the newly formed stitch off left needle to the right needle. You will have a newly created stitch on the right needle.
Continue till the end of the row and all stitches are on the left needle.
You have knitted your first row!